Friday, July 25, 2008

cookbooks

I had planned on listing some of my favorite cookbooks when I brought up my lack of cooking skills when we were first married.

Rachel Ray 30 minute meals: Everything I have made we have all enjoyed. The only comment I would have in the negative is that her cooking times for chicken are rather on the low side. Her pans and stovetop must cook faster than mine.

Super suppers: Recipes are easy and everything I have made has been yummy! It is supposed to be a make and freeze cookbook but I have never used this cookbook that way. But I use this book at least once a week.

Dream Dinners: Again, everything I have made has been fabulous. I do use this one to make 2 meals at a time, one for the freezer. I lists the ingredients for one meal or for 3. With our family size I do the 3 meal portion and split it into 2 meals :)

You've got it made: I just received this one from amazon this week. I have yet to make anything from it. But I have marked over 80% of the recipes to try. It is also a make and freeze book but it does not double the recipes for you. Most of the recipes are to feed 6 adults with a large number of them feeding 8 to 10 adults. But in my experience, feeding sizes are for one serving per person, so if you have say a 15 y/o boy that will eat 3 servings of something. Count that child as 3 people ;) I can't wait to try her chicken pot pie recipe and her fruit turnovers.

I do need to mention that I am a great cook now :) Good thing with a big family to feed. Hubby and I both enjoy cooking and we love to try new recipes on the weekends that we make together.

Another terrific resource is the foodnetwork. We especially enjoy Bobby Flay, Paula Deen, Sandra Lee, Rachel Ray, Robin Miller, Tyler Florence and Guy Fiero's recipes.

No comments: